Mum, 52, beaten to death and husband seriously injured in attack at their home

A murder investigation has been launched following the death of a 52-year-old mum who is said to have been beaten in her home.

Police were called shortly after 10pm on Sunday to reports of a disturbance at Ishrat Ahmed’s house in Nelson, Lancashire.

She and her 55-year-old year old husband were rushed to hospital with serious head injuries, Lancashire Police.

Tragically, she died at Royal Preston Hospital on Monday evening.

Her husband remains in hospital in a serious but stable condition.

A 58-year-old man from Nelson was arrested a short time after the incident.

Detectives say he continues to be detained on suspicion of murder and attempted murder.

According to The Sun, Ishrat was beaten to death.

Her family issued a tribute via police on Tuesday, saying: “Our beloved mother was blessed with the kindest heart and the sweetest touch and was loved by every single one of us.

“Whilst we are all heart-broken we have the most beautiful memories of the best mother in the world.”

Her nephew Tariq Mushtaq told BBC North West Tonight the “terrible tragedy” had devastated the family.

He said they were “struggling to comprehend what happened”.

“We are so sad my aunt Ishrat has been taken from us in this way,” he added.

Mr Muhstaq said the couple were respected members of the community and his uncle, a car mechanic, “was known and loved by so many”.

He said Mr Ahmed had received surgery following the attack and was expected to make a full recovery.

Detective Chief Inspector Al Davies, of Lancashire’s Force Major Investigation Team, said in an update on Tuesday: “My thoughts and those of the all the investigation team remain with the Ahmed’s family and friends.

“Our focus is on achieving justice for them and they continue to be supported by Family Liaison Officers.

“We continue to question a man on suspicion of the murder of Ishrat Ahmed and the attempted murder of Afaq Ahmed and I would appeal to anyone who has any information which could assist our enquiries to get in touch.

“I would again ask that for the sake of Mrs Ahmed’s family people do not share rumour and speculation, in particular on social media. We will continue to update people as and when we can and people can rely on us to put out trusted and factual information.

“We will continue to have extra patrols out and about in the area over the next few days and should anyone have concerns, or information, please approach an officer.

“Again, I would like to thank the community for their co-operation and support during our enquiries so far.”